Visiting Bethesda always feels like stepping into a different world. The town is polished and quiet, with streets that feel calm and wealthy in a way that almost does not feel real. I have not been there many times, but going back with my mom for a small outing felt perfect. We decided to stop at Call Your Mother, the bright and famous Jew-ish deli with the playful name. The moment we saw the building, I knew we had picked the right place.
The shop felt like a burst of color the second we walked through the door. Pink, teal, yellow, and soft pastels filled the space. It was lively and crowded, but in a warm way that made it feel welcoming instead of overwhelming. People chatted while waiting for their orders, and the smell of fresh bagels floated through the air. My mom smiled the whole time, which made the moment even sweeter. Sometimes a small adventure becomes something you want to remember forever, and this felt like one of those moments.

I ended up choosing the Queens Point. I still think the idea of an eleven dollar bagel is a little wild, but maybe that is just the bagel hater in me talking. My order came with roasted veggie cream cheese, bacon, jalapenos, and crispy shallots on a cheddar bagel. It sounded like too many things at first, but once I took my first bite I understood why people love this place so much. It was the best bagel I have ever had in my life. The cream cheese was smooth and bright, the bacon added a perfect bite, and the crispy shallots tasted like tiny little surprises. I hate to admit it, but I would eat it again without hesitation.
Once I tasted the food, I wanted to understand the story behind the shop. The background of Call Your Mother is charming and full of personality. The business started with two people, Daniela Moreira and Andrew Dana, who first sold their food at farmers markets in D.C. When they opened their first real shop in Park View in 2018, people loved it so much that the demand grew fast. They built a strong team and opened more locations across D.C. and Maryland, and even expanded all the way to Denver. Their mission is simple. They want to share their love of bagels with anyone who is hungry and treat food as something joyful.
The bagels themselves come from a mix of traditions. They add honey to the dough, which makes the flavor a little sweeter and softer. The style sits somewhere between a classic New York bagel and the lighter Montreal style. Andrew grew up with Jewish food and family memories that shaped the menu. Daniela trained in top restaurants in the United States and learned to cook by making meals outdoors with her family in Argentina. Together they blend comfort, tradition, and creativity. Most of the food is made in house, and anything that is not is sourced from partners they respect. That care shows in every bite.
What makes the company even more interesting is their focus on people. They want their shops to feel good for employees and customers. They work with local groups that support young people, immigrants, and families in need. They also partner with organizations that fight hunger in D.C. Their team uses their voice to support causes that matter to them, and their murals and artwork reflect that passion. It is clear that for them, food is not the only goal. Community is at the heart of everything they do.
Leaving
Bethesda, I felt happy and full in many ways. The bright colors, the good food, and the time with my mom made the day
special.
Call Your Mother reminded me that even something as simple as a
bagel can carry a story worth
sharing.
Comments
Post a Comment