I have been to Washington D.C. about three times in my life, and each visit feels new in a way I can never fully explain. There is something about the city that pulls me in the moment I arrive. Maybe it is the history built into every block or the calm feeling that comes from being surrounded by places I have only read about in books. This trip was special because I went with my mom and my brothers. Traveling with them always brings a mix of laughter, small arguments, and shared memories that last long after the trip ends.

Our first destination we made our way to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. The air felt cool and fresh, and the path around the water was quiet except for a few people walking with cameras. When the memorial came into view, the white stone reflections shimmered on the surface of the Tidal Basin. I always forget how large and bright it is until I am standing right there, looking up at the columns. Inside, the dome feels bigger than the sky itself. My mom read parts of the words engraved on the walls, and my brothers looked around as if they were trying to take in every detail. I stood still for a moment and let myself imagine what it would be like to live in a city where reminders of the past stand around you every day.
Later we biked around the Mall. Riding a bike in D.C. feels almost magical. The paths are wide, and the breeze runs through your hair like a quiet encouragement. The city sounds come together in a low hum. Cars passing by, tourists chatting, birds calling out from trees. My brothers rode ahead, with more confidence than I had. My mom followed behind us, laughing and trying to keep up. I felt light and alive, like the city was carrying me forward.
As we rode, the Washington Monument rose above everything. No matter how often I see it, the height surprises me. It stands alone, sharp and bright against the sky. When we stopped to rest near the base, I tilted my head back until my neck hurt. The monument made me think about the people who lived long before us and the choices that shaped the country we live in today. Something about standing near it made me feel more serious. Not in a sad way, but in a way that reminded me that I want to do something meaningful with my life.
Our last big stop was the
Lincoln Memorial. Climbing the steps always feels like a journey on its own. Each step seems to lift you closer to something
important. When I reached the top and looked up at
Lincoln seated in the center of the open room, I felt a strange mix of awe and comfort. His expression is
calm but
strong. I walked to the edge of the steps and looked out at the reflecting pool. The water stretched long and smooth, mirroring the sky and the monument behind me. People sat on the steps around us, talking softly or taking pictures. It felt peaceful, like everyone understood the
importance of the place.
Every time I visit D.C. the idea of living there comes back to me. It is not just the city itself. It is the feeling that something powerful is always happening around you. My dream law school, Georgetown, is right there, close to everything I love about the city. When I imagine myself studying there, walking through the busy streets, or finding small corners to think and read, it gives me a sense of purpose. I want to grow, to learn, and to push myself toward something better.
Leaving D.C. is always the hardest part. But I know the city will be waiting for me the next time I come back, and each trip brings me closer to the future I hope to build.
Comments
Post a Comment